Feriepartner Safety Included

Do you have a Feriepartner cancellation insurance or Feriepartner home tenant insurance - and have you had an incident?

Here you can read about how to report a claim in connection with cancellation/interruption of your stay in a holiday home, how to report damage to personal property and how to report a claim regarding your dog's illness.

Follow the guidelines and report your claim. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Report a claim – cancellation/interruption

Do you have Feriepartner cancellation cover or holiday home tenant cover – and have you had bad luck?

Claims under your Feriepartner holiday home tenant or cancellation insurance must be reported to Gouda. We are only able to handle the claim if you send us all necessary information about the matter. Please use these guidelines:

1. Download and complete the claim form.
2. In the event of cancellation because of illness – download the form and ask your own doctor to complete the medical certificate.
3. In the event of cancellation for other reasons than illness, please send documentation of the incident (e.g. in the event of pregnancy or dismissal).
4. Attach/enclose copy of rental certificate.
5. Attach/enclose copy of final settlement from Feriepartner, which shows the amount refunded to you by Holiday Partner.

Then send it to us by e-mail to feriehus@gouda.dk
or by ordinary mail to

Gouda Travel Insurance
A.C. Meyers Vænge 9
DK-2450 Copenhagen SV
Attn: Claims Department

Report a claim – personal property

If you accidently damaged any personal property in the holiday home you rented, you must report the claim to the local Holiday Partner office. It may be a help to follow the guidelines below when you report your claim:

1. Download and complete the claim form.
2. Send it to the local Holiday Partner office, which may obtain further information from the owner of the holiday home.
3. The local Holiday Partner office will forward the claim to Gouda, which will handle the claim and pay compensation, if any.
You are welcome to enclose further details
If you are in doubt about how to fill in a field, you are welcome to enclose a detailed description on a separate piece of paper. This also applies if there is not enough space on the form. You may also write on the back of the form.

Health insurance for your dog during the rental period

If your dog(s) become ill during your stay, you must then report it to Gouda.
You can follow these instructions:

1. Download the claim form and fill out the 'Other' box.

2. Send the claim form to Gouda's claim department along with documentation of the expenses regarding your dog's illness.

Do you have any additional questions in connection with the claim?

If you have any additional questions, you are welcome to call, write or e-mail us. 

Gouda Travel Insurance
Attn.: Claims Department
A.C. Meyers Vænge 9
DK-2450 Copenhagen SV

Tel.: +45 88 88 81 60
Opening hours: 9.00-16.00 all weekdays
E-mail: feriehus@gouda.dk